Hi, Cecil. I have an awesome idea for a book / graphic novel. Can you pass my books along! Introduce me! Give me all your contacts! Get me an agent! Get me published! Tell me all your secrets for how I can break in!
I can't. I'm really sorry, but I can't. Every author has their own fun and terrific journey to getting published. It's sort of a happy accident of hard work, sweat, tears, luck and timing. You just have to be ready to work your own magic. I say go out and meet people in your field. Meet other people who want to write in the same genre that you do. Join a critique group. Take a class. Go to writing retreats. Join SCBWI ( http://www.scbwi.org ) if you want to write for kids or young adults. Go to comic book conventions and meet people if you want to write graphic novels. Write, write, write! Submit stories to contests (like the Delacorte first novel contest) and submit to places that are looking for short pieces. Hang in there. I've always said, it's like a ten year waiting list. So get in line, keep your eye on the north star, and do your work while you are waiting for your fabulous moment to arrive. You can do it!
